The Gospel of Thomas is a gnostic document that is part of the Nag Hammadi Library that was discovered in the middle of the last century. The Gospel consists of purported sayings by Jesus (Yeshua) the Christ.
Here are some of the more mystical passages from the Gospel as translated by Thomas O. Lambdin. They make excellent material for spiritual contemplation (contemplative meditation or passage meditation). Select one of the sayings that resonates in your heart or feeling level, and spend some time in silent contemplation of what the saying’s meaning is being communicated to you at a deeply felt soul level.
At the end of the post is a relevant video of Elaine Pagels’ lecture delivered at the Vanderbilt Divinity School Cole Lecture.
(2) Jesus said, “Let him who seeks continue seeking until he finds. When he finds, he will become troubled. When he becomes troubled, he will be astonished, and he will rule over the All.”
(3) Jesus said, “If those who lead you say to you, ‘See, the kingdom is in the sky,’ then the birds of the sky will precede you. If they say to you, ‘It is in the sea,’ then the fish will precede you. Rather, the kingdom is inside of you, and it is outside of you. When you come to know yourselves, then you will become known, and you will realize that it is you who are the sons of the living father. But if you will not know yourselves, you dwell in poverty and it is you who are that poverty.”
(9) Jesus said, “Now the sower went out, took a handful (of seeds), and scattered them. Some fell on the road; the birds came and gathered them up. Others fell on the rock, did not take root in the soil, and did not produce ears. And others fell on thorns; they choked the seed(s) and worms ate them. And others fell on the good soil and it produced good fruit: it bore sixty per measure and a hundred and twenty per measure.”
(20) The disciples said to Jesus, “Tell us what the kingdom of heaven is like.”
He said to them, “It is like a mustard seed. It is the smallest of all seeds. But when it falls on tilled soil, it produces a great plant and becomes a shelter for birds of the sky.”
(70) Jesus said, “That which you have will save you if you bring it forth from yourselves. That which you do not have within you will kill you if you do not have it within you.”
(77) Jesus said, “It is I who am the light which is above them all. It is I who am the all. From me did the all come forth, and unto me did the all extend. Split a piece of wood, and I am there. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there.”
(113) His disciples said to him, “When will the kingdom come?”
“It will not come by waiting for it. It will not be a matter of saying ‘here it is’ or ‘there it is.’ Rather, the kingdom of the father is spread out upon the earth, and men do not see it.”
Below is the lecture given by religion scholar Elaine Pagels, titled “New Reflections on Gospel Traditions: the Gospel of John and the Gospel of Thomas” which sheds illumination on the preceding quotations from the Gospel of Thomas. There is, also, a video of an informative class lecture given by a Yale University professor, Dale B. Martin, on the Gospel of Thomas.
(Acknowledgement to the Vanderbilt University channel on YouTube for posting the video below.)
Discover, learn, see and feel the difference!
Experience a unique and pure kind of higher spirituality through us, a unitive spirituality. It’s practice is simple, easy and lean — shorn of religious beliefs, dogmas, doctrines and cultural trimmings in the form of rites, rituals and traditions.
We offer a spirituality that is rooted in the teachings of nondualistic oneness. It captures and embodies authentic mysticism in a concise and direct manner.
It is a spirituality practiced and exercised using a proven methodology that is scientific and mystical at the same time. You will find it to be highly transformational in consciousness and totally empowering to the Soul.
Discover the true nature of God and the meaning of life. Learn the purpose of your existence and the reason behind all human suffering. The mystical teachings are timeless yet urgently relevant today in our lives. They are profoundly true yet remarkably truly simple in their message.
At no point in modern times has the learning and practice of mysticism been made available so DIRECTLY, so SIMPLY and so EASILY than through our methodology and presentation. Download our electronic flyer for your perusal.
Travel with us along the mystical path of life. Explore and develop your spiritual journey at The Mystical Path.